Homemade Granola - The Lori Way

I admit it, I love granola!  For ages I purchased pre-made at the grocery store or at the local market.  But I was never completely happy.  So I went to Epicurious and searched for a recipe.  What I found (and tried) was one called Vanilla Scented Granola and I have used it ever since.  I have modified it to suit me so feel free to take mine and make it yours.

I will say that everyone that has tried mine has said it is one of the best they have ever eaten (tooting my own horn).

Now I will warn you that some of the measurements are approximates.  You will adjust to your taste.


Here we go...

Lori's Awesome Granola
Total time (about 40 mins).  Total cooking time (20-30 mins).

Position your rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 300F.

Note:  I have a natural gas oven so you may need to adjust time and/or temp to get it right.

You will need:

Old fashioned oats
Quinoa (optional)
Flax Seed (optional)
Brown Sugar
Nuts
Cinnamon
Butter
Honey
Vanilla
Dried Fruit
Non-stick spray
Big bowl
Spoons
Pans
Sense of humour

All the ingredients I use
In a large bowl combine the following:

  • 4 cups old-fashioned Oats
  • Couple of shakes of uncooked Quinoa (1/4 cup?)
  • Couple of shakes of Flax Seed (1/4 cup?)
  • Couple of handfuls of Nuts of your choice ( I use a mixed nut concoction)
  • 1/2 cup (packed) golden Brown Sugar
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon

 Mix it all together
No Stick Spray
Next get a saucepan (or dipper as I call it).  Small to medium size.

In it place:

  • 1/3-1/2 cup of Butter (not margarine)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup of liquid Honey
Melt the butter over a low-medium heat.






Honey

Here's my trick for honey (molasses too - Thank you Joanne Fluke).  Take your measuring cup and spray the inside with non stick spray.  Then pour in the honey and the will come out as easy as anything.
Clean








See??
Butter, honey, vanilla mixture
Pour honey in with melted butter and let it heat up a little to ensure it is combined.  Take off the heat and immediately add:

  • 4-5 teaspoons of real Vanilla
Whisk it a bit (don't be concerned if it foams up.  It will settle.





Beautifully mixed











Toss it over the mixture in the bowl and stir until everything appears coated.
Ready for oven











Take the mixture and spread out on 1 (or two) cookie sheets.  I use non-stick pans with sides (jelly roll pans ??).

 
Pop it into the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes.






Toasted once


Ding, Ding!  10 minutes has gone by.  Take the pan out of the oven (with covered hands mind you).

See the colour starting to change?








Give it a stir
So... What am I doing here?  The outside of the pan toasts more quickly than the inside so I endeavor to give it a good mix so it can cook more evenly.  I almost fold from the outside in and then swirl it around.  It's not a perfect method but it works.

Set it back in the oven and set the timer for another 10 minutes (but have a glance at about minute 7).
Toast X 2
Ding. Ding!!  Repeat and take out of oven, give 'er a stir and stop for a second.

Now listen carefully... If you are happy with the amount of toastiness, do not pop back into the oven.  Hold....

If you would like a little more brown, pop it back in for about 5 minutes.  Take a check and when you are happy with it.  Take it out.
Dried Cranberries on top







Why didn't she add the raisins, dried fruit and the like before she put it in the oven?  Cause burnt raisins tastes like garbage to me.

My method is to (while the granola is warm from the oven), take handfuls of fruit and toss on top.  Wait 5 minutes and then stir it through.
Final Product
Closer - Smell it?







Here endeth the lesson.  This will keep and stay fresh in a covered container for 2 weeks or so.  Mine never lasts that long to be truthful.
Yumbelina!!!


0 comments :

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking time to comment. I read them all.

Thanks ever so much!
Lori

 

EBates Canada (referral link)

Ebates.ca

Canadian Food Blogger

Canadian Food Blogger
Food Bloggers of Canada Member

Influenster

Follow me on Twitter