Partridgeberry or Lingonberry Jam

As mentioned in a recent dessert squares post, partridgeberries are my favourite. Tart berries that have a similar appearance to currants, these are most often found on the marshes of Newfoundland and Scandinavia.

My sister-in-law picks berries every year and if I'm really good she sends some to Halifax for me. I typically jam them and then use them for pies, squares, cakes and spread on toast.  Here is my tried and true recipe.

Things you Need (Otherwise Known as Ingredients and Supplies)


4 Cups of Partridgeberries
2 1/2 Cups of White Sugar
1 Cup of Water (Orange Juice is also lovely)
1 Tbsp of Butter
1 pkg of Pectin

Things I add if the mood takes me (and used in this recipe) - It's not needed but I like to mix it up
1 Tbsp of Gingerbread Spices (or 1 tsp on cinnamon)
1 peeled and cored apple
1 husk of a vanilla bean

Mortar and Pestle (if you use whole spices)
Hand Blender (or masher)
Jam Bottles, lids - whatever you use to preserve jam
Spoons, pots, etc

Things you Do (Otherwise Known as Directions)



Take your berries, sugar and water and place in a fairly large pot. Turn on burner to medium.


Since I decided to use some spices, I ground them using a mortar and pestle.

I cut up and apple, added the spices and a vanilla bean husk. I increased the heat to Medium-High to bring to a low boil.

As you can see the apple and the berries soften quite quickly.  Let this gently boil for about 20 minutes. Do NOT leave the lid securely on as it will boil over and good luck getting that mess off!
I leave the lid slightly offset.

Once it is gently boiled for the 20 minutes I remove the vanilla pod and get my hand blender ready.
I blend the jam smooth (or to whatever level you like) with the hand blender and set back on stove on medium to "hard" boil stage.



I let this boil for about 10 minutes and stir constantly. After the 10 minutes I add the butter and pectin. Let boil for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Prepare bottles for preserving and voila!

Note: The small amount of butter pretty much eliminates the need to have to skim the solid bits at the top of the jam.
Here is what the consistency looks like.

I also thought to show you (via pictures) how I use the jam.
Vanilla Cake



I use a butter knife to swirl through


Enjoy!
Lori

1 comments :

  1. I see that your sugar goes in before the pectin.Do you use liquid pectin?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking time to comment. I read them all.

Thanks ever so much!
Lori

 

EBates Canada (referral link)

Ebates.ca

Canadian Food Blogger

Canadian Food Blogger
Food Bloggers of Canada Member

Influenster

Follow me on Twitter