Cowboy (Mississippi) Caviar or a Fun Version of a Bean Salad



My wonderful friend RaeLynn made this dish as an appetizer many years ago and I fell in love.  I don't know why I don't make it more often as every time I do, it is met with approval and an empty bowl. I've called it Cowboy Caviar but some variations refer to it as Mississippi Caviar or simply Bean Salad.

The nice thing with this dish is it could easily be used with tortilla chips (or scoops) as a appetizer or as a bean salad side dish. It refrigerates well (for a couple of days at least) and is quick and easy to construct.

Things You Need (Otherwise Known as Ingredients and Supplies)



1 - 16-19 oz can Bean Mix
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 - 16-19 oz can Chick Peas
3 Tbsp Vinegar (Balsamic or Red Wine)
1 – 4.5 oz can Green Chilies
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 of each (Green, Red, Yellow, Orange) Pepper, diced
2 Tbsp Lemon/Lime Juice
1 bunch Green Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
12-15 Cherry/Grape Tomatoes, diced
Tabasco to taste (2-3 dashes) or other hot sauce
½ cup Black Olives (if desired)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Tortilla Chips (Scoops) if desired


Mixing bowls
Whisk
Cutting Boards
Knives
Large Bowl

Things You Do (Otherwise Known as Directions)

Rinse and Drain Bean Mix and Chick Peas very well.
Chop the peppers, green onions and tomatoes and empty into the bowl. I also added black olives because I love them!

 Add the beans and peas, green chilies.


 In a smaller bowl, mix the garlic, vinegar, olive oil, juice, mustard, sugar, hot sauce, salt and pepper.

I decided to use a 1/2tsp of jelly for kick
Add the liquid mixture to the bowl of ingredients and mix well.

Refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow taste to flourish and then serve. You could add cilantro to this mix or parsley. It really is as versatile as you want it.

Enjoy!
Lori


0 comments :

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking time to comment. I read them all.

Thanks ever so much!
Lori

 

EBates Canada (referral link)

Ebates.ca

Canadian Food Blogger

Canadian Food Blogger
Food Bloggers of Canada Member

Influenster

Follow me on Twitter