Granny's Magical Lemon Loaf

After a call to Twitter for a Lemon Loaf recipe I received a couple of stellar recipes. My friend Melany took the time to call her Granny in Northern New Brunswick (who is reputed to be a spectacular cook) for a recipe. Mel got the recipe in Acadien French, translated it and emailed it to me.

Here is the original translation sent by Mel. I love it!

½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1½ cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
½ cup coconut
Zest from one lemon (keep lemon for sauce)

Mix all the ingredients, throw in the oven at 350 for one hour.

Juice the lemon, add ¼ cup of sugar and mix together.

Take loaf out of the oven, brush sugar/juice mix over the loaf while still warm.

Let sit for a bit. ENJOY!


So on the basis of this recipe I started to experiment.

First things first - I LOVE LEMON FLAVOUR. The more lemon the better so you will see I deviated slightly from the recipe to give the kick of lemon I wanted. 

Secondly, while the coconut is unexpected it adds a delightful flavour to the loaf. I tried it with and without and I enjoyed it much more with coconut in it.

So here is my take on Granny's Magical Lemon Loaf (Thanks Krista for the title)

Things You Need (Otherwise Known and Ingredients and Supplies)

Loaf
1/4 cup shortening, softened
1/4 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup white granulated sugar (I used superfine but not required)
2 eggs
1 Tbsp pure Lemon Extract (optional if you don't wish to have a bigger lemon taste)

1 1/2 Cups white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut (I used sweetened and unsweeted medium)
Zest from one lemon (keep the lemon)

1/2 cup milk

Glaze
Juice from above lemon
1/4 white sugar

Bowls, scrapers, sifter, loaf pan (large or mini), spray or butter to grease pans, parchment paper (optional), flour to dust pans (optional - I usually do), cake tester.

Thing You Do (Otherwise Known as Directions)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Middle rack.

Cream butter and granulated sugar together.


Add the eggs one at a time.
Add the lemon extract and beat until smooth, light and fluffy.
Set aside for a minute.

In another bowl sift flour and baking powder together.

Add coconut, lemon zest and salt.
Stir it all together.

In 1/3 intervals alternate adding dry ingredients then a 1/3 of the milk. Mix slightly but do not over mix. You will end with the milk.

So here you have a choice - 1 loaf in a regular loaf plan or 8 mini loaves in a mini loaf pan.

I did both.

Getting Ready
For the glaze I simply squeezed the lemon in a bowl (removed the seeds) and added the sugar and mixed well. I microwaved it for 20 seconds then stirred until sugar is completely dissolved.

Option 1: Single loaf

I lined the pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray.

Throw in oven for 60-70 minutes (my natural gas oven took 70 minutes). However I start watching and testing the loaf after the 50 min mark and check in 5 minute intervals. Pop out of oven, let rest in pan for 5 minutes, turn out on the cooling rack. Poke fine holes in loaf all over top and let sit for about 5 more minutes and spread with glaze. These small holes allow the glaze to penetrate the loaf and punch up the lemony goodness.


You can see the fine holes
Option 2 - Mini Loaves:

I lined the pan with non-stick spray and a slight dusting of flour.





Throw in oven for 20-30 minutes (my natural gas oven took 30 minutes). I start watching and testing the loaves after the 20 min mark and check in 5 minute intervals. Pop out of oven, let rest in pan for 5 minutes, turn out on the cooling rack. Poke fine holes in loaves all over top and let sit for about 5 more minutes and spread with glaze. These small holes allow the glaze to penetrate the loaf and punch up the lemony goodness.


Lovely golden goodness

See the small holes



So why did I opt for mini loaves? For my taste the smaller loaves allow the tart glaze to penetrate the "cake" for more robust lemon throughout the entire loaf. A single loaf is delicious - but I enjoyed the flavour of the small lemon loaves more.

Thanks to Mel and her Granny for the recipe. It's a stand out!

Cheers,
Lori



0 comments :

Post a Comment

I really appreciate you taking time to comment. I read them all.

Thanks ever so much!
Lori

 

EBates Canada (referral link)

Ebates.ca

Canadian Food Blogger

Canadian Food Blogger
Food Bloggers of Canada Member

Influenster

Follow me on Twitter